Google+ House Revivals: Dreaming of a Window Seat

Saturday, June 4, 2011

Dreaming of a Window Seat

I think we've definitely decided to add a window seat to the upstairs loft.   It will solve the problem of how to transition into the newly "bumped out" space I shared about here and  here.  To show my husband how it could look, I did a little rendering of the space using this image as a starting point.


He likes the idea.  I'm glad.  I think the "it's cheap furniture" argument, combined with reminding him that he has six siblings and we'd like to be able to sleep them all, plus spouse and entourage, won him over in the end.  A twin sized mattress will fit perfectly under the right two windows of the bump out -- almost as if it were intentional.


Remember what we're starting with?  The funny bump out with a weird transition of materials, where we enclosed one of our loft decks?   I shared a little about that in this post.


Somewhere, I have the world's coolest vintage tulip pendant lamp.  It's kind of a cross between a Louis Poulsen Artichoke lamp and a tulip lamp:


And it's in storage. So I can't share a picture, but I've been wondering where we could use the pendant in the beach house.
And, in spite of the miles and miles of rotted grasscloth I've been stripping on this beach house project, I think I want to add a little wallpaper.  Something slightly retro, and slightly traditional, and a little bit modern, with a big bold pattern. 

So, here's what I came up with.

(edit:  when I originally posted this, it was late at night, and I forgot to layer 
in a horizon line, so this window seat looks like it's flying :)  Keep scrolling 
down to see the corrected version)

Here's the "before" again.


And here is the "after" one more time.


What do you think? 


This post is being linked to the following lovely places:
Thrifty Decor Chic
Funky Junk Interiors
Under the Table and Dreaming 
Miss Mustard Seed