Google+ House Revivals: Vintage Crepe Paper Flower Garland

Sunday, March 27, 2011

Vintage Crepe Paper Flower Garland

Do the last few weeks of wintry weather always have you yearning for cheery color?  Last night I was keeping vigil by a sick pet, and needed something to occupy my hands in the wee hours, so I decided to create a bright colorful garland to bring some of that cheery color into our home.
I pulled out my stash of vintage crepe paper and a needle and thread and some glue and started to play.

Before I knew it, it was dawn, the pup was feeling a bit better, and I had a little stack of vintage paper florets!

They were strung together with cord created by finger crocheting a length of turquoise crochet thread.

And then the pup and I napped! Finally.

I don't have pictures of the process for these, but they were fairly easy.  Simply take strips of crepe paper (vintage or good quality new paper gives the best results) and gather one long edge using your needle and thread.  Form into circles and glue to secure.  Next, stretch the outside of each circle to ruffle it a bit.  Create several layers, as desired, add a layer or two of book paper for interest, glue it together, and you're done!  No rules, no measurements, just play around till you find a combination you like.

Drape it across your mantle, over a mirror, or across a bit of weathered old fencing.

Layer textures, like an Anthropologie necklace, if you like.  Or keep the styling simple and clean.


Enjoy your bit of cheery color and dream of springtime and Maypoles! 

***to see another of my vintage crepe paper flower garlands come visit me at Infarrantly Creative, where I am guest posting a new tutorial***


Tip Junkie handmade projects



Photobucket