Google+ House Revivals: How to Make Jewelry From the Junk Drawer

Tuesday, February 3, 2015

How to Make Jewelry From the Junk Drawer

What do you have in your junk drawer? I have a super organized friend (I LOVE her) who has only a pair of scissors, an old steak knife for opening boxes, a hammer and a screwdriver, extra batteries, some string, and a roll of tape.


On the other hand, there are people like me who have multiple junk drawers that we keep stuffing more and more random objects into and that have to be crammed closed. We fill them so full that stuff falls out the back and we find those items years later behind our pots and pans in the lower cupboard.


If you are like my dear friend, you may need to raid your neighbor's junk drawer to do this project (don't worry, she will never notice stuff is missing). Look for any small random objects, suck as bottle tops and washers, ribbons, chains, and broken or orphaned jewelry.


In my case, I had an orphan earring, an orphan napkin ring, a broken chain, and some random wire.


First, I cannibalized the napkin ring for it's pretty blue beaded flower. Then I grabbed some of the wire and scrunched it into a tangled ball with a bail.


My inspiration was this tangled wire ball that I bought with a 50% off coupon from Hobby Lobby.


All the bits and pieces were wired and chained together to form a tassel style assemblage necklace. I used a mysterious brass ring, also from the junk drawer as the "base" that the flower was wired to, and the chain, earring, and charms were suspended from.


I added a couple of charms from this stash-busting project, and strung the new pendant onto a cord. So fast, so easy, and it cost nothing!


Now, I have a lovely new necklace, a (slightly) emptier junk drawer, and a happy pocketbook.

Do you enjoy creating new things from cast off items?

If you enjoyed this post, be sure to check out my side bar to subscribe and for links to lots more tutorials. Please feel free to use the icons below this post to share about House Revivals on all your favorite social media sites. I'm so glad you stopped by. Be sure to stop back often so you don't miss any of the great projects we have planned for 2015!