Google+ House Revivals: Word of the Year 2014

Thursday, January 2, 2014

Word of the Year 2014

It's that time again! A few years ago, I was introduced to the "word of the year" concept and I was hooked. I always end up feeling like a failure when, come February, all of my New Year's resolutions have fallen by the wayside.


The word of the year concept is a bit kinder and gentler than a resolution. Instead of compiling a list of impossible goals, you choose one word to apply in all aspects of your life.


The first year I did a word of the year, I chose the word Health.  The object was not to lose forty pounds and run a marathon. The object was to make choices that contributed to health. This concept was applied to finances, relationships, household organizing, scheduling, and yes, to physical health. At the end of the year, every one of these areas were healthier, as a result of conscious choices.

Another year, my word was Beauty. Again, the point was to address more than just physical beauty. Here is a project I did that year, as a reminder that beauty starts with our thoughts.


This year my word is Acceptance. Sometimes I have a hard time accepting praise or compliments. A few year ago, at a design staff meeting, my boss told me I needed to learn to receive. Just one little sentence, but that sentence has stuck in the back of my mind all this time.

Of course, sometimes we need to accept constructive criticism or good advice. Sometimes we need to just accept ourselves -- how we are right now.  But why stop there?  Why not accept the people we love -- just as they are?  As a wife and a mother, I know I am constantly thinking "if only such and such would (fill in the blank)".  Well, I need to STOP doing that.  It doesn't help and it prevents me from loving fully and completely.

Acceptance shouldn't be confused with complacence. It is not my intention to stop trying. Rather, by accepting the here and now, my hope is to create a solid foundation for building upon.

My life isn't perfect, I am not perfect, and the people I love are not perfect. That's okay. I can accept that. 

Have you chosen a word of the year?