Google+ House Revivals: Create Pretty Cards Using Color Families

Thursday, July 19, 2018

Create Pretty Cards Using Color Families

Today, I'm sharing another card created by raiding my stash. Unless your stash is identical to mine, you won't be able to make the exact card, but by using the techniques I share, you will be able to create something unique and beautiful that anyone would be thrilled to receive.


For this card, I started by pulling together an assortment of items from the purple family. These were thrown into a pile on my work table.
I had a checked card base, a soft brocade patterned light weight paper, some eggplant colored hem tape, some baker's twine, a premade Anna Griffin sentiment and some cardboard embellishments. It's okay to reject some of the items in your pile (or add to it) as you move along in your design process. You will often see that the pile I pull together initially is not the exact set of materials I ultimately use. That said, it's a great start.


I started by using the pretty brocade paper to mat the card base and to line the envelope.


Next, I played around with layouts and decided to eliminate the cardboard flowers.


I used the seam binding to tie around the front of the card base. Had I matted the card base with card stock, instead of light weight paper, I might have just wrapped the mat piece before adhering it down. I decided the baker's twine could be looped and adhered behind the sentiment.


By starting with a theme -- in this case "purple" -- the card feels very pulled together and classic.


I hope this encourages you to try designing cards using what you have in your stash.






If you enjoyed this post, please subscribe to House Revivals in the sidebar, so you won't miss the fun projects we have planned. Find us on Facebook, too, so you can catch all the "in between" stuff, and see what I'm working on throughout week on Instagram. Feel free to link today's post to all your favorite social media sites.

Thanks for stopping by!
Amanda