Google+ House Revivals: My Favorite Junk Journal Binding Tools

Tuesday, May 29, 2018

My Favorite Junk Journal Binding Tools

When I was in college, we created altered books in one of my art classes. As the instructor described the project, I felt as if a chorus of heavenly angels was singing in my brain. The project was a mix of repurposed vintage stuff, and art, and good old handcrafts. Can anything be more perfect than that?


That particular project was created similarly to this  Dollar Tree project, that I shared earlier. 
Eventually, I realized I wanted to bind more junk into my journals, so I researched binding machines. When my kids were in elementary school, one of the tasks given to volunteer parents was booklet binding, using plastic comb binding, so I though I might purchase one of those machines. I went online and discovered that DIY book binding has come a long way since I worked on those student booklets! Nowadays, DIY binders can bind books and journals using those nice metal O-rings. 


After lots of research, I finally decided on the Zutter Bind-It-All. While it doesn't offer all the functions of the other leading machine, it is solidly built and I felt it would hold up better to the tasks I was going to ask of it.

My machine is the pink one, but don't let the pink fool you -- this thing is tough! This machine punches through thick book covers like buttah.


I also bought the handy carrying case, which has pockets for "all the things", including a side pocket perfect for the Zutter corner rounder. After I'd been using the binding machine for a while, and was impressed with it's quality, I decided to buy the corner rounder.


Once again, I was not disappointed! I use the Round-It-All to chomp the corners off of thick book covers, and it works great.


Sometimes, I completely deconstruct a book, including the cover, but other times I leave the cover intact, as shown below. Either way works great with my Zutter tools. There is a slight learning curve to squeezing the O-rings shut, but with practice, you will get the hang of it.


When guests come to our beach house for a visit, the most requested creative project has been making junk journals. The Zutter Bind-It-All has been so popular that several of my guests have gone home and bought their own!

Do you have a favorite tool you use when creating art or journals? I'd love to hear about it in the comments.



If you enjoyed this post, please subscribe to House Revivals in the sidebar, so you won't miss the fun projects we have planned. Find us on Facebook, too, so you can catch all the "in between" stuff, and see what I'm working on throughout week on Instagram. Feel free to link today's project to your favorite social media sites.

Thanks so much for stopping by!
~Amanda