Google+ House Revivals: 8 Ways to Use Up Fabric Scraps

Thursday, March 29, 2012

8 Ways to Use Up Fabric Scraps

We recently emptied the last of four storage lockers in two different states, as we continue with our transition from Colorado to the Pacific Northwest.   This has been the longest, most drawn out move in history, involving four addresses, three home renovations, a wedding, a baby, a couple of graduations, and a very leaky bank account.

As we sort through mountains of boxes, I've been feeling inspired to do a little stash busting, and as I examine my bank account, I'm feeling inspired to make use of materials I already have to get a head start on gift giving this year.

Here are a few projects I've found for using up all those bits of leftover fabric that so many of us have.


Thimbleanna has instructions for pretty much the cutest little purse, ID, cell phone holder, key fob thingies I've ever seen.

Find a tutorial for making these fabric covered button push pins at How About Orange.

Dana-Made-It.com shares how to make these simple, no sew flowers.  Make just a few, or make an armful!

Visit PetSugar for instructions on making these fun little catnip mice for the cat lover in your life.

Crafty Asian Girl shares how she makes these small potholders with little finger pockets.

Your sewing friends would love to receive these strawberry pincushions -- or slip one into a sewing kit for a college bound kiddo.  Get the how-to at MarthaStewart.com.


Make some of this scrumptious yarn!  Mademoiselle Chaos (Eva Eichhorn) shows you how.

Whip up a trio of these braided necklaces from Smaller.

I hope you found some stash busting inspiration here.  Now, if I can just get that mountain of boxes unpacked, so I can start stash busting with you!