Google+ House Revivals: Upcycled Altoids Tin Travel Spicy Farkel

Tuesday, December 6, 2016

Upcycled Altoids Tin Travel Spicy Farkel

A good friend was recently visiting from Colorado, and she gifted me with a Spicy Farkel game. This was the same friend who gifted me with a regular Farkel game a few months ago. I loved that game, and decided to alter a little round mint tin to make a travel Farkel game.


When my friend gifted me with the Spicy version of the game, I knew it needed it's own travel tin, as well.


Being the hoarder that I am, I grabbed my box of empty mint and tea tins, and searched for the perfect tin to alter. I found this peppermint Altoids tin. Since the word spicy makes me think of the color red, I liked that the lid was framed in red.


Searching my stash of decorative papers, I found some pretty papers from Authentique's Carefree collection. Using the bottom of the tin to trace a pattern, I cut out three rectangles of paper, rounded the corners, and placed one on the bottom of the tin. I cut out the title of the game from the package my friend sent, and glued it to the bottom of the game.


The two other rectangles were glued inside the tin. Again, I cut out the scoring sheet, and glued that inside the lid. To make the lid stay upright, for viewing, and not fall all the way back, I gave the sides of the lid a little squeeze. Squeeze just enough to bind the lid enough to stay in place, but not enough to actually bend the lid.


For the top of the lid, I cut a piece of decorative paper to fit inside the "frame" on the lid -- you don't have to do this -- you can cover the entire top if you wish.


Next, I cut some shapes from coordinating paper using my die cutting machine. If you don't have a die cutting machine, you can use your punches, or fussy cut some pretty shapes.


Embellish the top of your tin any way you like. I topped mine off with a resin flower, because that's what I had handy. Don't go out and buy something for this project -- use what you have on hand.

I finished mine off by distressing the edges of the tin with sandpaper, then inking the edges of the papers with an ink pad.


To see how I made the other travel Farkel game, click here.

Wouldn't this be a great gift to slip into a stocking, or to give someone planning a trip?

If you enjoyed this post, please subscribe to House Revivals in the sidebar, so you won't miss the fun projects we have planned. Find us on Facebook, too, so you can catch all the "in between" stuff, and see what I'm working on throughout week on Instagram. Feel free to link today's project to all your favorite social media sites.

Thanks so much for stopping by!

Amanda