Google+ House Revivals: Make a Sweet Fairy Cutaway Card

Tuesday, June 19, 2018

Make a Sweet Fairy Cutaway Card

My sweet granddaughter will be getting a new baby brother pretty soon, and I wanted to make her a card to remind her how special she is to us. She is still at the age where she adores anything with pink or with flowers or with ribbon.


She also loves the Rainbow Magic Fairy books. They are sweet little books at just the right reading level.



It made perfect sense to make her a fairy card, with pink ribbons. I was shopping at Tuesday Morning the other day and found a Darice fairy embossing folder, then I went to Hobby Lobby and found a sweet fairy stamp, by Cam and Chloe for Hampton Arts.


My card making process always begins with gathering a pile of materials that fit a theme or a color scheme. This "pile" gets edited as I go, since I rarely start out with the finished product completely planned out. In this case, I found this cute paper with polka dots that referenced the dots on the mushroom in the stamp. The paper was from the DIY Shop cardstock pad by American Crafts, also picked up at Tuesday Morning. From the same paper pack, I grabbed two more coordinating papers -- for matting, and to make an envelope.


Next, I worked on the fairies. I embossed the Darice fairy onto a piece of lightweight card stock (actually, I used the white back of a piece of ugly card stock). Then I stamped the Cam and Chloe fairy onto the white back of a piece of ugly card stock.


The pieces were then colored, using markers that matched the colors in the card stock. I had also embossed and colored a border piece, but ended up editing it out of the finished composition. The Embossed fairy was matted and added to the inside of the card, and I realized I wanted it to be partially visible from the front, so I used a small plate as a template and traced a curve onto the front of the card, which I then cut away with scissors. The stamped fairy image was cut out using a Spellbinders die. I had some pretty ribbon in my stash that just happened to have my granddaughter's name on it (a gift from a dear friend), so I wrapped it around the front of the card before securing the stamped fairy image to the card front. The coordinating envelope was created the old-fashioned way -- by laying the  finished card over a square of paper and folding the paper around it. I did it this way because I was too lazy to get up and grab my envelope punch board. 


Address labels were added to the envelope, and the project was done. This project was a little more complicated to plan, compositionally, because it had so many elements, but I think my granddaughter will love it.



If you enjoyed this post, please subscribe to House Revivals in the sidebar, so you won't miss the fun projects we have planned. Find us on Facebook, too, so you can catch all the "in between" stuff, and see what I'm working on throughout week on Instagram. Feel free to link today's project to your favorite social media sites.

Thanks so much for stopping by!
Amanda