Google+ House Revivals: Lovely Things, Rustic Signs

Sunday, May 1, 2011

Lovely Things, Rustic Signs

Remember those New Year's resolutions from a few months back?  They always make me feel like a failure about two weeks into the year.  So, a couple of years ago, when I heard about taking one word and applying it to all aspects of your life, I was intrigued.


Last year, I chose the word "health" as my "word of the year".  My goal was not to lose forty pounds, give up fried foods, and run a marathon.  Rather, I made a conscious decision to apply the concept of health to decisions regarding every aspect of my life, from finances to organization to relationships.  At the end of the year, my life wasn't perfect.  It was, however, healthier.


This year I chose "beauty" as my word of the year.  This scripture from Philippians really speaks to the concept of beauty.

Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things [are] honest, whatsoever things [are] just, whatsoever things [are] pure, whatsoever things [are] lovely, whatsoever things [are] of good report; if [there be] any virtue, and if [there be] any praise, think on these things. Phil 4:8

If our thoughts are without beauty, how can we have any beauty in our lives?  As a reminder to guard my thoughts, it seemed like a good idea to create a sign that I would see every day.  Flipping through a Pottery Barn catalog, I saw this sign with an old proverb in a bedroom vignette.  Perfect inspiration!


The Pottery Barn sign has the words "Keep a green tree in your heart and perhaps a singing bird will come" stenciled on strips of wood lath.  It is lovely.  For my own sign, I wanted something a bit beachier, so I used ordinary construction stakes.  They reminded me of beach fencing.


They had serious splinters, so I gave them all a light sanding.  Then, I used a little stain to give them a weathered appearance.


Next, the stakes were laid out, face down, on my counter.  I used pieces of cardboard between the pieces as spacers.  Then, I glued extra large stir sticks to the backs, using Gorilla Glue.  I used an assortment of heavy objects to weight the stir sticks down while the glue cured.


You can add your lettering using any technique you like.  I looked at stencils and stamps, but didn't find the font I wanted, so I printed mine, cut them out and Mod Podged the letters onto the boards.  ( I really need a Silhouette!)


The final step was to distress the lettering by sanding them.


I like how it turned out.


And I like the daily reminder (trust me, I need it).
 

 
Do you have a word, a resolution, 
or a set of goals for the year?



The DIY Show Off

Tip Junkie handmade projects