Google+ House Revivals: Christmas Slippers, Hats, and Cones!

Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Christmas Slippers, Hats, and Cones!

I have been so inspired by the beautiful creations of Cassandra at My Artful Adventures.  Her blog is candy for the eyes.  Recently, she announced that she was doing a little shoe party.  Cassandra makes the most amazing embellished shoe pretties.  So, I said I would try to participate.


Of course, life is unpredictable, and living in temporary digs, remodeling a house in another city, and having a spouse who often works from home and is often on call all night long can make things tricky, at best.  I missed the party.  I didn't  have my little slipper ready in time.  So,  here I am.  Late for the party, but showing up anyway -- 'cuz that's how I roll....


I decided to create a little trio of ornaments, including a slipper, a Frosty hat, and a Christmas cone.


Our temporary digs are much too small for a Christmas tree, so I took the little ornaments down to the building office to photograph in their tree.  The office staff were really good sports about allowing some crazy tenant to rearrange things and put her own ornaments up to take pictures!


The ornaments were created with junk mail, vintage book pages, vintage paper garland, and vintage items scavenged from old junk Christmas wreaths.  The little candy canes were old store stock, still in their packaging, found at the local Goodwill.


The little star wand was created from junk mail, using the technique shown in this post, and then painted with gold paint.


The paper used for the little shoe and hat are from a Canonical study, all in Latin, from Benedicti Papae XV, 1954.  It seemed so appropriate to use this paper for little ornaments that celebrated Christmas Gifting.


I was imagining three siblings, two little boys and a little girl,  leaving out a slipper, a hat, and a Christmas cone -- hopeful that Father Christmas might happen by and toss in some treats.  I'd say they were good little children, as there is no coal here!  Just some shiny things, and some gifts and sweets....


I think there will be some squeals of delight on Christmas morning.  Hmmm, maybe there's an iPad in that red package.., oh, wait, that's what I want....

These were created with scissors, glue, a pile of junk mail, and no patterns -- just "free-handed".  My favorite junk mail for crafting are those huge post cards political candidates mail out. It's especially satisfying to take scissors and paint and glue to those!  Basic shapes are created with the stiff card, then they are covered over with the beautiful old paper.


House Revivals is now on Facebook, so click "like" to get links and updates, you can also subscribe to House Revivals by clicking the button in the sidebar.  We've also added a Networked Blogs box at the bottom of the sidebar, so there are now lots of ways to keep up with what's happening at House Revivals!

Christmas Blessings!